Monday, January 25, 2010

Adventures in writing a book about Adventures in Entrepreneurship

Adventures in Entrepreneurship...
That's the title that was approved by my publisher, OMF Literature, Inc. I've been toying with other titles, like,
Adventures of a Reluctant Entrepreneur
or
Adventures of a Dysfunctional Entrepreneur...
or
Adventures of a Procrastinating Entrepreneur/Writer


It's been more than a year since OMF sponsored a week long writer's workshop to help us get started on our approved book projects. That was October 2008 and we had the great blessing to be coached and mentored by the one and only Tim Stafford. Tim is the co-author of The Student Bible (with Philip Yancey) and author of Personal God. He is also a senior staff writer for Christianity Today. Tim is also one of the most humble and effective teachers. The fact that only one (congrats to Ru Dela Torre for releasing Road Trip last year!) or two of the 12 men who were at the workshop have so far finished their book projects is a great disservice and embarrassment on our part. (The writers that is..). Here we are below believing that we can conquer the world with our words! (Thanks Bong for the picture. How is your book coming along? :-)

[IMG_2251.jpg]
What happened? The business of life and it's busyness happened. We didn't stick to our deadlines... Other projects took priority...

I actually worked on and submitted the finished manuscript of another book, Ang Pera na Hindi Bitin (The Money that Never Runs Short) last  January 5th. It was one of those ideas re-born in the shower and proposed to my publisher (OMF again) before the holidays. It was written in 2 weeks or so. (Yes, it is a short 28 page book or so.)

So here I am committing to posting what I have written and what I will be writing.

I need to have a goal to motivate me to finish this book amidst the pressing demands of being a husband, father to a terribly great 2 year old son, and running a couple of businesses (...and yes, trying to achieve my goal of getting my golf handicap from 32 to 2 in 32 months).

My goal: God willing, connect to the entrepreneurial spirits of 25,000 readers here in the Philippines and the rest of the world. (Read: target is to have a print run of 25,000 copies within 3 years of publication. ...and not to have to beg my Mom buy the first 24,999 copies...).

Submit the manuscript by May 1 (Labor Day)
Publish and launch at the next book fair this August 2010.

Pray for me? Here we go on this adventure in writing about a book called Adventures in Entrepreneurship...

1 comment:

Leave your comments, message or stories here!

About Me

My photo
Ardy Roberto is an author, entrepreneur, and speaker. He is husband to Miriam and father to Joshua. He is the son of Dr Ned Roberto and Corrie Roberto; brother to Sharon, Elaine and Cherry and Ninong to Matt, Bam, Bart, Bruce(+), Ariel. Follow him at facebook.com/ardyroberto

Followers